• Sunday, May 26, 2024

Assam: 95% private schools keep fees within govt-set limit for new session

Assam: 95% private schools keep fees within govt-set limit for new session
on May 20, 2021
Assam: 95% private schools keep fees within govt-set limit for new session
GUWAHATI: Of the 1,700 schools that had applied to the fee regulatory committee of the state government since October last year seeking a certificate of exemption from fee-cuts by the panel for the session 2021-2022, about 95% schools gave affidavits saying their fee The structure was well within the maximum limit notified by the state government, said a member of the FRC. The rest 5% moved the panel to review their plea for allowing them to charge as per their proposed fee structure, higher than the limit fixed by the government. The regulated fees from classes I to XII were declared by the state government on FRC’s recommendation, through a notification dated October 19, 2020. Missionary schools remain out of the purview of the committee. As per the norms, private schools in Assam – other than schools registered as minority schools – need to apply to the FRC for their fee to be fixed through the portal www.feeregulatoryassam.com. Congratulations! You have successfully cast your vote Login to view result Those schools that charge within the amount fixed by the government, as declared through the notification, however, need to apply for a fee exemption certificate. But those schools that propose to charge more than the maximum amount notified, need to apply for their fee to be fixed by the FRC. “These schools provided detailed justification for the fee proposed as provided for by the Assam Non-Government Educational Institutions (Regulation of Fees) Act, 2018. Accordingly, schools applied for their fee to be fixed for the academic session 2021-22,” All Assam Private Schools’ Association (AAPSA) president Pankaj Das, a member of the panel, said. The fee issue has become more pertinent after offline classes got hampered within a month of their commencement in the new academic session on April 1. No decision has been taken for the 20-25 days in-campus classes lost already during the second wave. But if normalcy does not return after the month-long summer vacation that ends in mid-June and online classes continue to be the only mode of imparting education, the government may have to step in. Around 1,700 schools from across the state applied to FRC, clarifying their fees. “Any change in the fee structure due to the closure of schools for Covid will have to be taken up by the government, not by our committee,” said FRC chairman, RC Jain. A notification by the state secondary education department on October 19 last year stated that private schools charging up to Rs 27,000 per annum per student from pre-primary to Class V and a maximum of Rs 32,000 for Classes VI-X will be exempted from the fee cut. But, such schools will have to obtain exemption certificates from the fee regulatory committee set up by the Assam government. However, in the case of senior secondary levels (Classes XI-XII), the limits are Rs 37,000 for the science stream, Rs 32,000 for arts, Rs 33,000 for commerce and Rs 35,000 (for any other stream). The fee amount excludes transportation fees. On the other hand, schools charging more than the specified fees are required to submit a proposal for the approval and fixation of fees as per the justification given by them. Source: TOI

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


    Sorry! No comment found for this post.